Thursday, December 29, 2005

AMTRAK? What was I thinking?

I don’t know what possessed me to take Amtrak from Chicago to NYC but I think I’ll stick to the friendly skies for business flights.



The idea was that since I fly constantly I thought I might take a train and get some writing done. I have always found trains restful and have done some of my best writing on a train. They can even be romantic. My first and last long distance train trip was many years ago with my , then, sweetheart and I went from Portland Oregon to Chicago. It was on a lovely double decker train with a restaurant and a view car that was all glass with swivel chairs. A movie playing in the corner of one car if you wanted to watch it. I personally like looking outside. It’s incredibly beautiful especially through the Rocky Mountains in Montana. WOW!
We played card games with some nice people we met in the café car. We then went back to our sleeper for a complimentary bottle of wine. I haven’t stopped thinking of that wonderfully romantic trip.



I decided this would be a good time to do it again and even though I’m alone I could get some work done. WELL! It’s not the trip I remember that’s for sure. Last night when I left Chicago it was 11 degrees. The train is rather empty so I am able to spread out and that I do, remember I am one long lady. The trains have a lot of leg room which is always an enticing element for me when traveling.



After about 2 hours into the trip all the heat does out in my car and after trying to battle the cold ( remember 11 degrees outside) I move to another car and that car is HOT! I opt for the hot car which actually slipped me into a deep coma and I ended up sleep for the next 12 hours. I NEVER SLEEP let alone 12 hours. When I wake up I find out that we are 3 ½ hours behind schedule. Some bridge froze in Indiana and we had to wait for the guy to wake up, show up, and fix it. Thank god I slept through the whole thing. Now my “restful romantic” trip is a 24 hour HELL!



I’m trying to be professional now and get some work done and every time I get someone on the phone I hit another rural area and the signals gone.



I used to get worked up about these things but I have learned to SURRENDER. I now SURRENDER to travel and have no expectations and it is so much easier. You have to any more. Traveling is difficult, annoying and expensive which can easily equate and escalate to irritating!



I have only an hour left in my drama and I’m running home to hug the things I hug when I get home. (vague huh) Then I’m going to eat cause this food on Amtrak is TERRIBLE! I’ve eaten all the vegetarian items and even my own little sack of apples, nuts and wasabi dried peas from Trader Joes. I’m STARVING!



Best travels this holiday season!

Happy New Year!


Edie

1 comment:

Joshua Schank said...

The problem here is that we keep starving Amtrak of its funding. Instead of putting in a decent level of investment, the government has starved Amtrak in the name of fiscal austerity, despite the fact that no rail system on earth can operate effectively without substantial government investment. More about this here: http://transportationpolicy.blogspot.com/